Friday, September 28, 2012

Kindle Fire vs Nexus 7: Which is the better ereader?

First and foremost I like to read. When ereaders first came out there were quite a few studies indicating that people read faster when reading an actual book. This may be true. However I have found that I read a lot more when using an ereader. I specifically use the term ereader here instead of electronic device since I do not enjoy reading on a computer (this includes laptops, netbooks and ultrabooks). More specifically my reading list includes at least 5 dissertations (1000+ pages) in the last couple of months. If I had 15 minutes to spare I would pick of the ereader instead of the actual dissertation and edit as many pages as I could in the time allotted. With the paper copy I would wait for a sufficient chunk of time where I could knock out an entire chapter, which is typically "never". I even used an ereader to catch up on the 300+ journal articles that I wanted to "read later". Even journal articles that I review get done at a faster pace when using an ereader.

Most of the aforementioned reading and editing was done on my Kindle Fire. Consequently, I was really excited to when the Nexus 7. With the Nexus 7 I could ssh into my VPS, skype, install my favorite keyboard for sending emails on a a tablet, utilize all of my Google apps and still use it as an ereader. Personally I feel that the Nexus 7 is the "do it all tablet".

So which device do I use to read now? Answer... the Kindle Fire. Why? Because given the opportunity to do the aforementioned list, the Nexus 7 lets me do exactly that. Especially when I think of things to do while I am reading. Since I can't do those things on the Kindle Fire I get a lot more reading done with it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment